T5 gearbox wiring backup light switch

Replacing a backup light switch is fairly straightforward if you know what the switch looks like and where to locate it on your vehicle. A backup light switch screws into the transmission and is triggered when you shift the vehicle into reverse. If the switch is functioning normally, a circuit is completed when the switch is triggered and the white lights in the tail lights will illuminate, indicating to other drivers that you are backing up.

It is important to rule out the most common problem, which is a burnt out light bulb. This article is written with the assumption that you have already checked for burnt out light bulbs. By following this how-to, you should be able to successfully identify and replace your backup light switch.

Step 1: Remove the battery. Use the box end wrench to disconnect the terminals connected to the battery. Once the terminals are removed, use a socket wrench to remove the battery hold down bracket if there is one. This bracket will be secured with two bolts or nuts.

These nuts or bolts are commonly sized 10mm. Step 2: Remove the battery tray. Use the socket wrench to remove the nuts or bolts holding down the battery tray and remove the tray.

Step 3: Remove the air filter box. There is either a squeeze-type clamp or a screw-type clamp holding the intake pipe to the filter box. Step 4: Attempt to locate the backup light switch on the top side of the transmission. On some vehicles, the switch may be visible at this point. If you have a transverse sideways mounted engine, you should be looking at the top side of your transmission. Examine the electrical connector on the new switch and look for a sensor plugged into the transmission with the same amount of wires coming out of it, and a similar looking electrical connector.

If you find the sensor and can access it from above, skip to Part 2. Step 5: Attempt to locate the backup light switch on the bottom side of the transmission. Jack up the front end of the vehicle and secure the vehicle with jack stands. Typically a splashguard will need to be removed if the vehicle has a transverse mounted engine. It is common to find 10mm bolts or Phillips head bolts retaining the splashguard.

How to Replace a Backup Light Switch

Remove it to expose the bottom of the transmission. At this point you should be able to locate the sensor on the transmission. Step 1: Disconnect the electrical connector. Squeeze the tab on one side of the connector and disconnect the switch from the wiring harness. Sometimes there is a retainer clip holding the wire to a nearby bracket to keep it secured and out of the way. Gently remove any retainer clips found. Step 2: Use an open ended wrench to loosen the switch.

When the switch is removed, replace it with the new switch and carefully tighten the switch back into the transmission. Tighten it firmly but do not use excessive force as the transmission case is usually aluminum and you do not want to strip the threads. Step 3: Reconnect the switch to the wiring harness. Once the electrical connector is plugged back in, make sure to replace any retaining clips you may have removed in previous steps. Step 4: Reinstall the disconnected parts.Skip to main content.

Filter by vehicle:.

Wiring up reverse/neutral safety switches on a T5?

Filter Results. Enable JavaScript to use the part finder, or see our list of vehicles. In"Dodge Ram" was rebranded as "Ram". To add Ram trucks for and beyond: 1. Select the vehicle year. Select Ram in the Make menu. Your Garage 0. You have no vehicles in your garage. To add a new vehicle, select the year, make, and model at left. We're sorry! We encountered an error while updating the page. Please hit the "Reload" button on your browser.

Customers also bought. FREE Shipping on eligible orders. Only 1 left in stock - order soon. See Details. Hurst Back-Up Light Switch. Only 16 left in stock - order soon. Only 12 left in stock - order soon.

Only 20 left in stock - order soon. Only 10 left in stock - order soon. Only 2 left in stock - order soon. Only 5 left in stock - order soon. Only 18 left in stock - order soon.The Jalopy Journal. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy. Log in or Sign up.

Atomic Industries www. Register now to get rid of these ads! The H. I have a T5 installed in my 51 Chevy. It still has the reverse light switch in the side of the housing but I have never hooked it up. My Rebel 21 has a circuit for back up lights that I have pulled the wire to the rear of the car but I don't know how to wire the switch to the lights.

In all of the searches I've done it shows a pigtail inside to a column plug but I have the stock column so no wires.

Wiring up reverse/neutral safety switches on a T5?

Can anyone guide me on how to wire this up so I can get some back up lights? I'm planning on mounting some lights under the rear splash pan so they are hidden but still throw light when needed. Thanks for the help.

t5 gearbox wiring backup light switch

Of course, don't forget to ground the lights. Since your switch wiring is located by the column, I would just mount a relay there and run a single wire down to the transmission. If your reverse switch is a single terminal, it should ground when in reverse, if it has two terminal, just ground one of them by the switch.

This is what I have. I believe the plug on the lower part of the trans case is the reverse lights switch. Johnny GeeJan 7, Looks like I don't have the neutral safety switch. Johnny GeeJan 8, Forums New posts Search forums.

Media New media Search media. Resources Latest reviews Search resources. Log in. Search Everywhere Threads This forum This thread. Search titles only. Search Advanced search…. Everywhere Threads This forum This thread. Search Advanced…. New posts. Search forums. Thread starter SadbutTrue Start date Jul 26, Install the app.

JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. You are using an out of date browser.

It may not display this or other websites correctly. You should upgrade or use an alternative browser. SadbutTrue Founding Member. May 1, 2, 2 49 36 Granada Hills, California Visit site. Could anyone give me some guidance on how to wire a T5's reverse and neutral safety switch wires? I'm putting the t5 in my 66 and haven't been able to figure out what gose where. A diagram or soemthing similar would be immensely appreciated Jan 25, 1, 1 38 34 Beverly, Massachusetts Visit site.

I think he had a 66 coupe as well. And if you are its Nitroduck. From long ago. Mar 10, 27, 2, 74 Dublin GA lowendmac. It has nothing to do with the starter.Due to shipper and supplier delays, your order may take longer to arrive.

If you are an international customer who ships to a US address choose "United States delivery" and we will estimate your ship dates accordingly. If you are an international customer and would like to change the currency that prices are displayed in, you can do so here. Image is a representation of this item. Actual item may vary. Change Currency. Estimated International Date Check Fit.

Brand: Ron Francis Wiring. Manufacturer's Part Number: PG Part Type: Wiring Pigtails. Wire Connector Type: Female. Weather-Resistant: No.

Pins Per Connector: 2. Connector Finish: Black. Quantity: Sold individually.

Notes: Designed to fit most Ford T-5 manual transmissions. Comes with 9 in. Ron Francis Wiring transmission backup light connector pigtails come with a factory-correct molded connector and 9 in.

They will connect to most any Ford T-5 manual transmission and others as well. Get connected safely with Ron Francis wiring pigtails.Ford Mustang - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 91 - 92 - 93 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 03 - Upload a Photo. Add to Wishlist Call to Order. We are currently shipping orders at full capacity. Click Here for more updates.

What's in the Box 1 Reverse Light Switch. Details Product Description Reverse Light Switch Periodically the reverse switch on the transmission will go bad, this can be replaced restoring proper function of the reverse lights on your Mustang with a T-5 or T Transmission. This is a replacement reverse light switch for your 5-speed manual-equipped 5. This screw-in style switch is located on the side of the transmission housing and switches on the reverse lights when your transmission is put into reverse gear.

Customer Photos 0 Upload a Photo. Vehicle Applications Ford Mustang - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 91 - 92 - 93 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 03 - Email Me When It Arrives! Upload a Picture.

By uploading an image, you agree to give LMR.Ford Mustang - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 91 - 92 - 93 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 03 - Upload a Photo. Pick up this 5. Add to Wishlist Call to Order. We are currently shipping orders at full capacity. Click Here for more updates. Benefits Factory Connections 9" Wire Leads. Details Product Description 5. This harness features a factory style connector and 9" of positive and negative wiring to allow for an easy spline in installation.

This will fit 5. This piece is what connects to the transmission and tells the backup lights to turn on when shifted into reverse.

Applications -Fits Mustangs 5. Customer Photos 0 Upload a Photo. Vehicle Applications Ford Mustang - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 91 - 92 - 93 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 03 - About This Brand 5. Using years of experience in the late model Mustang restoration and aftermarket industry, 5. Whether it is a full restoration or a simple facelift for your Fox Body Mustang, 5. Every 5. Be sure to shop for all 5.

Email Me When It Arrives! Upload a Picture. By uploading an image, you agree to give LMR.

thoughts on “T5 gearbox wiring backup light switch”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *